|The county seat
and principal town of Giles County is Pulaski, which
stands on the east bank of Richland Creek, and on the
Nashville & Decatur Railroad, seventy-five miles
south of Nashville and eighteen miles north of the
Alabama State line. The town is one of the prettiest in
the State and has a population of 2,500. The site for
Pulaski was selected by the commissioners early in 1810,
and during that year a portion of the cane and
under-growth was removed from the Public Square. In
August 1811 the first town lots were sold at auction and
a courthouse and stocks were erected on the Public
Lewis Kirk and Alexander, Nathan and Robert Black were the first white citizens of Pulaski; they settling on the town site at least three years before it was selected as such. Kirk built a log cabin on a bluff on Richland Creek at the foot of the "Shoals" while the three Blacks erected their cabins on what is now First Main Street. Other settlers or citizens of the town before the sale of town lots in 1811, were William R. Davis, William Ball, James Berry, German and Fountain Lester, David Martin, Richard Scott, James Drew, James H. Williams, William Hanby, Thomas Smith, John McCrackin, John G. Talbott, Henry Hogan, Dr. Shadrack Nye, Joseph Trotter, Joseph H. Hodge, Dr. Gilbert D. Taylor, David Woods, Lewis, James and William Connor, Sam G. Anderson, Nathaniel Moody, Alfred M. Harris and Lunsford M. Bramlett.
Pulaski was incorporated in 1820, and Elisha Eldridge was the first mayor, and Shadrack Nye the first recorder and treasurer. The present town officers are as follows: Mayor, P. Smith; recorder and treasurer, John Dyer; marshal, J. M. McDonald; policeman, Joseph Flippin; aldermen- J. H. Lightfoot, M. C. Camody, T. J. Walls, R. B. Crow and H. A. Rosecrans.
The streets are as follows: Those running east and west- Washington, Madison, Jefferson, College, Flower, Hemp, Cotton and Depot; those running north and south- First, Second, Third, Mill Lane and Cemetery. The streets are lighted with gas, the gas being manufactured and furnished by the Pulaski Gas Company, the works of which were established in 1882. The company is composed of Messrs. Chess, Carley & Co., of Louisville, Ky. The local manager is Mr. F. Winship. The streets are also macadamized and furnish some delightful drives. The Giles County Agricultural Society was organized in 1876 and hold annual exhibitions at their grounds near Pulaski.
The secret societies of Pulaski are as follows: Lawrence Lodge, No. 16, F. & A. M., was the first lodge in Giles County, being instituted in August, 1816. In 1821 the lodge forfeited its charter by a failure to elect officers, and in 1824 a new charter was obtained and the lodge revived as Lafayette Lodge, No. 57. During the suspension of Masonry, between 1834 and 1841, the lodge ceased to work, and in 1842 was again revived under a new charter as Pulaski Lodge, No. 101, and continues as such at the present. Pulaski Lodge, No. 12, I. 0. 0. F., was established in 1845. The charter was destroyed during the war but the lodge did not suspend active work, and at the close of the war a duplicate charter was obtained and is in force at the present. Pulaski Chapter, No. 20, R. A. M,, was organized in 1859; Stonewall Lodge, No. 112, K. P., was organized in 1874; Friendship Lodge, No. 104, K. of H., was organized in 1875; Richland Council, No. 407, A. L. of H., established in 1881; Mystic Lodge, No. 25, A. 0. U. W., established in 1877; Giles Council, No. 409, R. A., organized in 1880; Pulaski Lodge, No. 170, G. T., organized in 1884; Pulaski Y. M. C. A., organized in 1880; Pulaski Commandery, No. 12, K. T., organized in 1871. There is one church each of Methodist Episcopal South, Cumberland Presbyterian, Presbyterian, Episcopal and Christian denominations in Pulaski.