Chapter First - Condition of the Country
To fully appreciate the character and noble achievements of those heroic men and women who came to the County when the whole face of the country was a dense cane-brake, inhabited only by wild beasts of the forest, with the Indians living in near proximity, and occasionally passing through it on their hunting or marauding excursions, it is necessary to recur to the antecedent and contemporaneous history of the country.
For this I digress - prior to the Revolutionary War, the British Government claimed the title in fee simple to all the lands in her American possessions not disposed of by the King, vested in him, and that the Indians were but tenants at will.
The Colony of North Carolina claimed that, under her Colonial Grant from the King, her boundaries extended west as far as the British Government had title, and without admitting the title of the Indians, but from motives of policy, treated with them from time to time for portions of the land. At that time and for many years before no Indians permanently resided within the State of Tennessee, except the southern portion of East Tennessee. The Indians lived in North Georgia, the Southern part of East Tennessee, and Southwestern North Carolina, but claimed as hunting grounds East and Middle Tennessee, also Kentucky, and as far north as the Ohio River. The Indians had their trails and war paths through Tennessee, which they traveled in their hunting and war excursions from the settlements South of the Tennessee River, and those North of the Ohio.
One of these, the old McCutcheon trail, crossed Elk River at Latitude Hill, passed through the Eastern portion of Giles, crossed Duck River near the mouth of Fountain Creek, and North to the neighborhood of Nashville. Another crossed Elk River at the month of Ford's Creek near prospect, and went north or northwest and was traveled in their excursions to Northern tribes.
The country between the Tennessee and Ohio Rivers had been for many years the great battle ground of the Indians, each Nation claiming an interest in it, but no one of them was permitted by the others to permanently occupy it; hence the vindictive and unceasing warfare they waged against the first white settlers.
But by 1806, the Cherokees ceded all their claim to lands north of the Tennessee River, and west of the line run from upper part of Chickasaw "Old Field" on the Tennessee River, about five miles above Ditto's landing, to the most eastwardly headwaters of Duck river, etc. A subsequent treaty in September, 1807 included the headwaters of Elk River.
Skipping to Chapter Three - Organization of Giles County
Prior to 1806, many persons from the Eastern States, who had entered land in Middle Tennessee, south of Williamson county, moved to Davidson and Williamson, and resided there temporarily, waiting for the Indian title to be extinguished, that they might settle on their purchased land.
Williamson County was established in October, 1799, and its boundaries extended south to the Indian boundary, and all south of that was in Indian territory until after the treaty of January 1806, except the portion which lies north of Duck river as to which, the Indian title was extinguished in October 1805. Until after the organization of Maury county, what is now Giles County was regarded as a part of Williamson. Some of the old deeds and grants for lands in Giles county on the south side of Elk River, described the land as being in Williamson County, and were required to be registered there.
Maury County was established in November, 1807. The territory south of Maury remained for two years under the jurisdiction of Maury. The first settlers paid taxes in Maury, prosecuted criminals, and instituted legal proceedings in the courts of Maury.
On the 14th of November, 1809, Giles County was established by act of the Legislature. The Bill was introduced by William FRIERSON, grandfather of Judge W. F. COOPER, and uncle of Chancellor FLEMMING, the Representative of Williamson and Maury, to establish a new County south of Maury, and north of the state Line, by the name of "Richland County". The tradition is, that at the suggestion of General JACKSON, "Giles" was substituted as the name of the County in honor of Governor William b. GILES of Virginia.
The Act establishing the County appointed James ROSS, Nathaniel MOODY, Tyree RODES, Gabriel BUMPASS and Thomas WHITSON, Commissioners, to select a place on Richland Creek, as near the center of the County as practicable, and cause a town to be laid off; and to sell lots, reserving a public square of two acres, on which should be erected a court house and stocks; that the town should be called "Pulaski", in honor of Count PULASKI, who fell in the attack upon Savannah in 1779.
The Commissioners were judiciously selected as to their location. ROSS lived at the Andrew YOKLEY place; MOODY near Lynnville Station; RODES where his son, Robert RODES lived afterwards; BUMPASS at Cross Water; and WHITSON on Elk River, about a mile above Prospect on what was then Indian territory.
The cane and undergrowth were removed from a small portion of the town in 1810. Among those who removed the first cane were: General R. H. ALLEN, then a lad fifteen years of age, and Spencer CLACK, then a young man living with his father, on mile west of the court house. In August, 1811, the first lots were sold, and in due time a court house and stocks were erected.
On the 22nd of November, 1809, the Legislature, by joint resolution, selected the following magistrates for Giles County, viz: John DICKEY, Jacob BAYLOR, Somerset MOORE, Charles NEELY, Robert STEELE, Nathaniel MOODY, William PHILLIPS, Benjamin LONG, Thos. WESTMORELAND, David PORTER and Maximillian H. BUCHANAN. At the same time the Legislature elected Thos. STEWART, Judge of the 4th District, embracing Giles and Alfred BALCH, Attorney General.
DICKEY lived at Campbellsville, BAYLOR one mile west of it, MOORE on Moore's Creek, two miles southwest of Pulaski, NEELY on Pigeon Roost Creek, near the TILLERY place, STEELE on the turnpike, opposite Buford Station, MOODY half a mile south of Lynnville Station, PHILLIPS two miles north of Elkton, LONG in the suburbs of Elkton, WESTMORELAND near Aspen Hill, PORTER near Mount Moriah church, and BUCHANAN at Crosswater.
The first Circuit Court, held the second Monday in June and December; and a Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions, to be held 3rd Monday in February, May, August, and November; and provided that these courts should be held at the house of Lewis KIRK, who lived in a log cabin on the bank of Richland Creek, about two hundred yards above the Nashville and Decatur Depot.
The first County Court was held 3rd Monday in February, 1810, when the Magistrates were sworn in, and County officers elected or appointed. German LESTER was made Clerk, Charles NEELY, Sheriff, and Jesse WESTMORELAND, Register. Charles NEELY, the first sheriff, was one of the Magistrates, and the tradition is that the magistrates, at the first election for sheriff, were in favor of keeping the office among themselves, as was the custom in the State of Virginia at that time; but, owing to some dissatisfaction about the mode of electing, NEELY resigned, and James BUFORD, who was his deputy, was elected.
The third Circuit Court was held in June, 1810. Thomas STEWART was Judge, and James BERRY was appointed Clerk. The first courts were attended by a large number of attorneys from other counties, among them were: Thomas H. BENTON, Felix GRUNDY, O. B. HAYS, Alfred BALCH, Marmaduke WILLIAMS, Peter R. BOOKER, John KELLY, John WHITE, Robert MACK, Wm. WHITE, Easthouse LEWIS, _________HASKELL, COULTER, and others; besides Alfred M. HARRIS, George CUNNINGHAM, and Lunsford M. BRAMLETTE, resident attorneys. A few years later Aaron V. BROWN, Wm. H. FIELD and Tryon M. YANCEY were numbered with the resident lawyers. At a later date, John H. RIVERS, Wm. C. FLOURNOY, Collin S. TARPLEY, E. J. SHIELDS, James W. COOMBS, and a few years later, Archibald WRIGHT, Neill S. BROWN, Calvin JONES, John W. GOODE, Thomas M. JONES, A. F. GOFF, and Dixon TOPP, were added to the number of resident attorneys. Thos. H. BENTON was attorney for the Plaintiffs in the first two cases on the Civil Docket in the Circuit Court. Henry CLAY's name appears on the docket as an attorney at three or four courts a few years after the courts were organized. It is said he was looking after an important land suit.
On the 23rd of November, 1809, the Legislature chartered an Academy for Giles County, called Pulaski Academy, and appointed John SAPPINGTON, Nelson PATTERSON, Tyree RODES, Samuel JONES, Somerset MOORE, Charles BUFORD, and Charles NEELY, Trustees; and in the month of September, 1812, the name of the Academy was changed to Wurtemburg Academy; and Doctor William PURNELL, David WOODS, and Alfred M. HARRIS appointed additional Trustees.
Chapter Four - First Settlers
The first white persons who explored Giles County or passed through it, so far is now known, were the Commissioners with their guard, and citizens who accompanied them to lay off a district on the northern part of Middle Tennessee, 55 miles wide, for the satisfaction of warrants issued by the State of North Carolina to her officers and soldiers; and to lay off a tract of 25,000 acres south of that district, donated to General GREENE.
It is now very difficult to ascertain who were the first settlers and when they came. But a few of the first settlers who were old enough to remember dates when they came are now living. I have met with a few who think their parents were in the county in 1805, others in 1806, and that corn was raised in the county in those years; but upon inquiry as to who came with them, or who were here before them, or came the same year they did, or the routes they came, I am inclined to believe they are mistaken as to dates.
It is believed the first permanent settlement in the County was made on Elk River near the mouth of Richland Creek; and in the neighborhood of Prospect by emigrants from East Tennessee who came down the Tennessee River in boats to the mouth of the Elk, and thence up Elk.
The treaties of 1805 and 1806 extinguished the Indian title to a considerable portion of what is now Madison County, Alabama. Soon after the treaty, Zacharia COX and his associates, the "Tennessee Zazoo Company", claimed this scope of country as against the US Government. Under their purchase from the State of Georgia in 1795, they commenced settling it. They were resisted by the Government and those claiming under said purchase were driven off. But the character of the country being well known to the people of East Tennessee, soon after the treaty a number of persons of wealth and influence came down the river in boats and settled around what is called Hunt's Spring, afterwards Huntsville; and soon thereafterwards, others descended the river to the mouth of the Elk, and ascended Elk to the neighborhood of Prospect, and the mouth of Richland. Among these were William CROWSON and his four sons, and his son-in-law, VINCENT, with their families, who came about February, 1807, and settled the west side of Richland Creek, and near the mouth of it and raised corn in 1807.
About the same time or soon thereafter, Thos. WHITSON, settled on Whitson's Creek, a mile or two above Prospect, and for him Reynolds' Island was called. Jordan WARD settled on the north bank of the river three miles above Prospect, at what has since been known as the Abel EZELL place. A man named JENKINS settled on Jenkins' Creek, for whom the creek was named. A man named JOHNSON between Ford's and the Thomas REED place; and a man named ELLIS settled near the REED place; a family named EASLEY settled on the south side of the river, opposite the mouth of Richland, near where John BAILEY lives.
These settlers, with a few others in the neighborhood raised corn in 1807. James FORD with a number of others, including James WILLIAMS, Parish SIMMS, Thos. DODD, Simon FOY, and Thos. KYLE, with their families started from Hawkins County in East Tennessee in the Spring of 1807 with four boats, when the boats had ascended Elk about opposite SIMMS' settlement three of the boats with the SIMMSES, KYLE and others went out to view the country, and concluded to stop there and settled what was long known as SIMMS' settlement, in Limestone Co., AL.
FORD with his boat and those with him ascended the river some distance and stopped and with a canoe, FORD and two or three men went up the river several miles until they came to a small branch running into the river a short distance above the mouth of Ford's Creek, when they stopped, and as they landed FORD said, "Boys, this is my spring branch", and going up the branch they soon found the spring. On the 4th day of June, 1807, he began building a house near the spring. The place since has been known as the DEVER place, and is now owned by A. J. REED, Esquire, and adjoins Prospect on the east.
Two or three months after FORD came, Major Wm. KYLE came and settled on the south side of the river, opposite Prospect, at what has since been known as the BROWN or VETO place. He was a man of considerable property, and owned a number of slaves. about the same time the McKINNEYS came and settled in the neighborhood. The old man HUNNICUT and sons came soon after FORD and settled on the south side of the river below the mouth of Richland; the place is now owned by the heirs of DALY. John TUCKER came the same year and settled the TUCKER place now owned by Carey GILBERT, Esquire. James and Wm. PRICE, came about 1808 and settled on the east side of Richard Creek near the mouth at what was called "lower Elkton". John and Lewis NELSON came about 1809 and settled a few miles northeast of Prospect. John NELSON settled where his widow now lives, and Lewis NELSON in the same neighborhood. Dr. Gabriel BUMPASS, with a number of families from South Carolina, settled at Crosswater at a very early date. The precise date cannot be ascertained; but from the fact that the BUFORDS and others traveled his trail as early as the Fall of 1807, he must have come sometime in 1807 as early at least as the Summer or Fall.
In the party that came with BUMPASS were William BUCHANAN and his sons Robert, Maxmillian H., (the father of Mrs. Col. Solon e. ROSE), John and Jesse, Timothy EZELL, Mike EZELL and William EZELL, the father of P. H. EZELL, together with others whose names are not remembered. Dr. BUMPASS settled the Crosswater place now owned by George E. SUTTLE. Wm. BUCHANAN settled the place owned by the Rev. C. P. REED; Robert BUCHANAN about a half mile north of where REED lived on the east side of Buchanan's Creek; it is not certainly known whether the creek took its name from them, or was named by the Commissioners in 1783, as there was a BUCHANAN with them. The general impression is that it took its name from Robert BUCHANAN who lived on it and built a mill on it about 1809; it was grinding in 1810. The EZELLs settled east of the mill, and in the immediate neighborhood.
BUMPASS and his company opened the first road in the County south from Columbia; it came to Little Bigby by where Pillow's Mill was, striking the Giles County line at what is now known as Yokley's Gap, at the headwaters of what is now known as the eastern branch of Big Creek and down the same by CUNNINGHAM's, now John ENGLISH's; thence by Andrew YOKLEY's, thence a little east of Campbellsville, by the place John I. MORRIS lives on, thence south on the dividing ridge between Big Creek and little Dry Creek striking Dry Creek where Sam WILSON lives; crossing Weakley Creek at Reed's ford, near the southeast corner of REED's land; thence up Agnew Creek, thence by the WALTHALL place, known as the William D. ABERNATHY place; thence to Coopertown, and by the BLACK place to Richland, crossing at Mrs. Tyree RODES' farm, and thence to Crosswater, making a very circuitous route to avoid the large cane. The cane was small on the ridges, and poor land, but very heavy in the creek bottoms, and on the rich land. This was called Bumpass' trail, and was the principal road for emigrants going as far south as Pulaski, and west of Pulaski-for two or three years. The first mails were carried on this route. BUMPASS, the BUCHANANs, EZELLs, and others, who came about the time they did, raised corn in 1808. Lewis BROWN, Lester MORRIS, Buckner HARWELL and his sons, William CRITTENDN (sic) and his sons, Alexander TARPLEY, Robert McNAIRY, William WELLS Sr., and his sons, Mark MITCHELL, Jesse WESTMORELAND, Thos. WESTMORELAND, W. B. PEPPER, Colonel L. CLEAVELAND, Reverend William CALLOWAY and William ABERNATHY, (father of Chas. C. ABERNATHY), came in the latter part of 1808, and early in 1809. They all or the most of them made corn in 1809. CLEAVELAND and CALLOWAY may have made corn in 1808. The WESTMORELANDs lived in Davidson County, sent their hands out, and improved places and made crops, but did not move their families out until the latter part of 1809.
Lewis BROWN settled on Richland Creek on the place known as the Ira BROWN place. Lester MORRIS was a Revolutionary soldier and settled about a half mile west of Rehoboth CHURE; Buckner HARWELL Sr. settled the farm now owned by John MARKS, and his sons settled in the neighborhood. His son, Colonel Gilliam HARWELL, father of Dr. T. B. HARWELL, settled not far from where Dr. HARWELL now lives. William CRITTENDEN settled the place lately owned by Robert DICKSON. Robert McNAIRY, Alex TARPLEY, and Wm. B. PEPPER settled the places on which they resided at the time of their deaths, and which have been long known by their names. Mark MITCHELL settled the place now owned by Colston ABERNATHY; Jesse WESTMORELAND settled the place now owned by John NEWBILL; William WELLS the place since known as the WELLS or MOSELEY place; CLEAVELAND and CALLOWAY settled on the old Stage Road, half a mile or three quarters south of where the Rev. C. P. REED lived. CLEAVELAND at the place BIRDSONG lived on, and CALLOWAY about 300 yards further on south. CALLOWAY was a Baptist preacher, and one of the first preachers in the County. Wm. ABERNATHY settled the place Chas. C. ABERNATHY now lives on. He sent his hands out from Davidson County, improved the place and made a crop, but did not move out his family until the latter part of the year. One of the first churches in the County was a Baptist Church about a quarter of a mile south of or southwest from Crosswater spring, built in 1809 by the BUCHANANS and EZELLS. Rev. George BROWN and perhaps, CALLOWAY were the preachers. A Methodist Church at Rehoboth was built in 1810, principally by Lewis BROWN, who was a man of considerable property.
Lewis BROWN erected a horse mill about 1810, which was resorted to from a considerable distance in the Summer season. Dr. BUMPASS practiced medicine at Crosswater, and over a large extent of country, as there were but few physicians in the county. He was a learned and skillful physician, but a man of great eccentricity of character so much so that his influence was effected by it. Among those who came at later date to the neighborhood of Crosswater were: Robert OLIVER, who lived for many years on the place afterwards owned by the Rev. C. P. REED and Isaac MASON who settled on the place long known as the MASON place, and Thos. MEREDITH, who settled the place where Mrs. Tyree RODES now lives.
The neighborhood of Aspen Hill was settled at a very early date. Thomas REED Sr., the father of the late Thomas REED, Esq., came from Kentucky and settled the place Thomas REED, Esquire, first lived on, about a quarter of a mile east of where J. P. C. REED now lives.
Old William RIGGS, Joseph MOORE, and Daniel COX, came about the same time. Dan COX settled on Richland Creek, where Thomas WESTMORELAND a year afterwards settled, long known as the JONES place. James KIMBROUGH, the father of Henry T. KIMBROUGH, Elijah ANTHONY and Joseph ANTHONY, the father of James D., and Joseph C. ANTHONY all came about the same time and settled in the neighborhood. Joseph ANTHONY, where James D., now lives. Joseph C. ANTHONY, thinks his father came about 1805; and J. P. C. REED thinks his grandfather came about 1806, but as they have no record of dates to refer to, and as they nearly all came along the BUMPASS Trail, it is very probable they came in the Summer or Fall of 1807. They all raised corn in 1808. In the latter part of 1808, or first of 1809, Thomas WESTMORELAND, father of the late Thos. A. WESTMORELAND, Esq., brought out his servants and settled on what has since been called the JONES place.
He made a crop in 1809, and moved his family out from Davidson County in the latter part of 1809. He was appointed by the Legislature in the Fall of 1809, one of the first Justices of the Peace in the County, and must have been regarded as a citizen of the County at that time. John BUTLER and John BARNETT came soon after WESTMORELANDS; the precise date not known. BUTLER settled on what was long known as the BUTLER place, north of Aspen Hill. BARNETT settled about a mile southwest of Aspen Hill. A few years later the Rev. Aaron BROWN and his sons, Thomas and William settled in the neighborhood. The Rev. Aaron BROWN on the place afterwards owned by his son, Governor Aaron V. BROWN, and called the Aspen Hill place. Thos. BROWN half a mile southeast of Aspen Hill, at what has since been known as the PETTY place. Wm. BROWN at what has since been called the Steven BILES place. Captain Baker P. POTTS settled at an early date west of the place owned by Gov. Aaron V. BROWN.
SECTION FOUR-PULASKI AND VICINITY
It is difficult to ascertain who were the first settler in the town of Pulaski, or the date at which they came. It is believed, however, that Lewis KIRK, Alexander BLACK and his brother, Robert BLACK, were the first who lived in the town; and that they came as early as the Fall or Summer of 1807. It is known that they were here in 1807; settled the lot on which David S. MARTIN now lives in First Main Street; Robert on the same street near the old cemetery; Lewis KIRK on the bluff at the foot of the shoals on Richland Creek, about two hundred yards above the Nashville and Decatur Depot. These lots are now owned by Thos. FLIPPEN and Pleasant SMITH. About the time the BLACKS and KIRKS came, or soon after, Ralph GROVES, Sr. settled about two hundred yards east of J. B. CHILDER's residence, and a little east of the Corporation line. Charles BUFORD, Jas. BUFORD and Somerset MOORE came to the neighborhood of Pulaski in the Fall of 1807. The father of the BUFORD's, James BUFORD, Sr., was one of the first settlers of Williamson County, lived in Williamson County near Thompson's Station and owned a tract of two thousand acres of land adjoining the southwest corner of Pulaski. His sons and MOORE who was a son-in-law, made some improvements on the land in 1807. In the Fall sowed turnips and went back and moved their families out early in 1808. Charles BUFORD settled the place known as the Charles BUFORD place. James BUFORD settled the place now owned by the heirs of Nicholas BUFORD; Somerset MOORE the place on Moore's Creek, now owned by Mrs. FOGG. The creek was named for him, though BUFORD's and MOORE came the BUMPASS trail. Major John CLACK, with his son, Spencer CLACK, moved from Sevier County and settled about a mile west of the Court House on the CARTER farm near where his Negro cabins were, early in 1808. These all raised corn in 1808. Wm. GIDEON came in 1808, and settled what was long known as the GIDEON place, on the GIDEON road half a mile north of town. Col. Nelson PATTERSON with his sons, James and Bernard M., came in the latter part of 1808, and settled the PATTERSON place one mile east of Pulaski. They raised corn in 1808. Major Thos. WILKERSON, father of the late F. H. WILKERSON, came in 1809 and settled near the PATTERSON spring, between the spring and Col. Solon E. ROSE's residence. Tyree RODES settled the place his son, Robert RODES now owns in 1809, probably in the early part of the year. He was appointed by the Legislature in November, 1809, one of the Commissioners to lay off the town of Pulaski. Wm. KERLEY, known as Captain KERLEY came to the County with him, and lived on his farm several years. Charles NEELY settled near the TILLERY spring, three miles north of Pulaski at a very early day; he was appointed by the Legislature in 1809 one of the magistrates of the County, and in February, 1810, was elected sheriff; John WHITE, father of Dr. R. G. P. WHITE, Newton and John M. WHITE, settled the place Newton WHITE lived on in the latter part of 1809. Wm. MAYFIELD and sons were very early settlers, but the date they came is not known.
STEELE, the father of Alexander G. STEELE and his sons were very early settlers. They settled the place now owned by the Hon. Thos. M. JONES, two miles west of Pulaski on the Lawrenceburg road. Silas FLOURNOY, the grandfather of Capt. Wm. C. FLOURNOY, came about 1813, and settled on the Locust Hill place, where he died and was buried. Of the first settlers in the town, besides KIRK and the BLACKS, the following persons were here at a very early date, before 1812, but the date at which they came is not known.
Wm. B. DAVIS, Wm. BALL, Jas. BERRY, German and Fountain LESTER, Dan MARTIN, Richard SCOTT, Jas. DREW, Jas. H. WILLIAMS, Wm. HAMBY, Thos. SMITH, Jno. McCRACKEN, Jno. O. TALBOT, Henry HOGAN, Dr. Shadrack NYE, Joseph H. TROTTER, Joseph H. HODGE, Dr. Gilbert D. TAYLOR, David WOODS, Lewis JAMES and William CONER, Samuel G. ANDERSON, Nathaniel MOODY, Alfred M. HARRIS, Lunsford M. BRAMLETTE, of these DAVIS, BALL, SCOTT, and TALBOT were among the first. German LESTER came in 1809; probably the latter part of the year. The County was established in November, 1809. Dr. TAYLOR came in 1811, and was here at the sale of the lots as were most of those here named. BRAMLETTE, and perhaps a few others, did not come before 1812 or 1813. C. C. ABERNATHY, who first visited Pulaski Oct. 11, 1810, and has lived in the neighborhood ever since, thus describes the place: "The town was mostly covered with tall cane, large poplar, beech and other forest trees.
Alexander BLACK lived in a log cabin near where David S. MARTIN now lives on First Main Street, and had cut down a few rods of cane where his house stood. Robert BLACK lived in a similar cabin, on the same street, near the old cemetery. Lewis KIRK lived in a rough log cabin on the bluff of Richland Creek at the foot of the shoals. A rough log house had been erected in his yard in which to hold court. KIRK kept a boarding house, and tavern during the session of the courts. Richard SCOTT had a small stock of goods in a cabin near KIRK's which he soon after sold out to Jno. Q. TALBOT. William BALL kept a grocery in a cabin near KIRK's." These were then the only houses and improvements in what is now the town of Pulaski that he remembered. A number of persons were then living in the immediate neighborhood and vicinity of whom he remembers, PATTERSON, WILKERSON, BLACK, the BUFORDS, MOORE, and others. Mr. ABERNATHY further states that after some of the lots were sold in August, 1811, and the cane cut down on the public square, a court house was built out of round logs and covered with boards in which courts were held for several years. Among the first merchants were Richard SCOTT, David MARTIN, Jno. Q. TALBOT, Jas. DOREN, Jno. McCRACKEN and Henry HAGAN.
Among the first taverns were Lewis KIRK, on Richland Creek at the foot of the shoals. Captain Thomas (Tubb) SMITH on the northeast corner of the square. ALEXANDER, who kept on the southeast corner of the public square at what was known as Kennan's tavern.
Among the first physicians were Dr. Gilbert D. TAYLOR, Shadrack NYE, David WOODS, Alfred FLOURNOY, Elijah ELDRIDGE, and Charles PERKINS, etc.
The first tan yards were established by Jas. HAMBY and by Lewis and James CONNER; the CONNORs settled the place where G. W. McGREW's tan yard is at present, and established a yard. HAMBY settled the place now owned by Joe B. CHILDERS and established a yard south of his house, near the spring in W. G. LEWIS's lot. German LESTER was among the first to build a comfortable family residence; he improved the lots now owned by Major B. F. CARTER, and lived on them until about 1847. The first resident lawyers were Alfred M. HARRIS, George CUNNINGHAM, Lunsford M. BRAMLETTE, Tryon M. YANCY, W. H. FIELD, and Aaron V. BROWN.
Among the early settlers in the neighborhood of Pulaski not mentioned were David and Wm. MAXWELL, Josiah P. ALEXANDER, Wm. W. WOODS, Gideon PHILLIPS, the father of our present Captain John PHILLIPS. These all settled on Pigeon Roost Creek on the southwest and south. Thomas McKISSACK, the grandfather of J. T. McKISSACK, settled the place lately owned by James P. SMITH, Thos WALTHALL the place on which William D. ABERNATHY lived, now owned by _______SHORT, John WALTHALL, the place lately owned by Jno. MARKS, Thos. WILLIAMS, the place on which he long lived on the Lambsferry road, John WILLIAMSON, the father of Thos. S. WILLIAMSON, in the same neighborhood, Hugh CAMPBELL on the place afterwards owned by Captain George EVERLY and on which he lived until his death.