One of the first settlers, Lewis Kirk, came in 1807 and built a rough cabin on the bluff of Richland Creek at the foot of the shoals, about 200 yards above the present L & N Railroad Station. In this vicinity, at the end of Third Street, the first church building was erected. (Goodspeed's History of Tennessee gives the date as 1820, but it was likely much earlier.) The second church building was built in 1831 and the third building in 1851 (this building is still used today, but it is now the Second Street Church of Christ).
First Presbyterian Church
Special Notes: There is a Historical Room located at the Church.
There is a printed history about this church, Sesquicentennial History of The First Presbyterian Church, 1828-1978 by Margaret Butler.
United Methodist Church
Special Notes: History of the First United Methodist Church, 1831-1984 is the published history of this church.