History of
Choates Creek Church
The First 141 Years

Choates Creek Church

Choates Creek United Methodist Church

June 4, 1995


The Giles County Historical Society called asking for a history of
the Choates Creek United Methodist Church and Cemetery to place in
the Giles County Public Library.  A history not being available, we
agreed to try to comply with the need. After compiling the information,
we decided to put it in a booklet form for people interested in Choates
Creek, thus, this attempt at a history of Choates Creek Church and
Cememtery for the first 125 years, distributed on Children's Day,
June 3, 1979.

In 1995 the Bicentennial Committee of Giles County contacted
Choates Creek for a copy of its history.  What we propose to do in this
writing is give them basically the original written history referred to
above, plus cover the years since that publication.

Mrs. Flenoy (Jewel Duncan) Johnson, Historian
Choates Creek United Methodist Church

Mrs. William A. (Nedra Johnson Kirby) Trebing

PART I Choates Creek Church has stood ten miles west of Pulaski and eight miles east of Lawrenceburg on Highway 64 in Giles County, Tennessee for 125 years. It was founded in 1854 as Choates Creek Methodist Episcopal Church of the Tennessee Annual Conference. By word-of-mouth stories, its history has been passed and those stories are recorded here. Cecil Cates remembers hearing about four buildings by the Choates Creek name. The exact origin of its name is unknown, unless it was named for the Choates family whose story is told herein. The first church was a log building constructed in 1854 on the west side of the creek bed approximately 25 yards south of the highway. In 1812 James and Samuel Sandusky moved to Choates Creek from Ohio where they had settled after immigrating from Poland. Half brothers, Houston Felker (1825-1902), James Sneed (1833-1908) and Pleasant Allen O. Sneed (1836-1894), came in 1852 from East Tennessee. T.R. Sneed's record shows that Crowders came along about this time also. It was these families who founded the church. Jewel Duncan Johnson recalls her grandmother, Lizzie Duncan Inman, telling her that the first log church washed away but the date is unknown. According to her biography, Mary Catherine Clark Sneed, born in 1861, walked with her family to Choates Creek services when she was a young child. There must have been a span of time when there was no church building because she refers to going to Choates Creek services under the sycamore tree. Her biography also tells that she recalls when she was pretty young, a log church house was built. This was about 1870 when the second log church was built at about the same location as the first. Reverend T.T. (Tuck) Crowder gave the church a deed to the land in 1871, which is recorded in the Giles County Courthouse, Pulaski, Tennessee, Deed Book FF, page 352. Mr. William (Bud) Harwell deeded land to the church on the south of highway 64 and it is recorded in Deed Book 86, page 22. Also deeded in Book 75, page 186 is an acre which Joe Stafford and his wife gave on November 30, 1914. Tuck Crowder gave the land where the present church stands and where the cemetery lies. Crowder's desire according to the original deed was to "promote the salvation of souls. . .in a place of divine worship." Lillie Bishop Cates, born in 1895, recalls she went as a child to this log church and describes how she remembers it: "It was a one-room log building with rough floors, an old wood stove, backless benches, lanterns on the walls and a pulpit with a Bible on a little platform." She recalls coming with her minister father, Rev. Bishop, from New Prospect in a two-horse wagon to an all-day affair which she thinks probably was Quarterly Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. How long this building stood is unknown; it could have burned as we have mention of one burning. During the Civil War the Methodist Episcopal Church split over slavery. The M.E. Church, South formed for the benefit of the slave holders and supporters of slavery. Choates Creek continued to be a Methodist Episcopal Church. One of the folowing quotes from the Giles County newspaper, The Citizen, mentions Choates Creek by its full name: "August 27, 1885, Methodist Episcopal Church held their District Conference this summer at Choates Creek commencing Thursday and continuing for several days." "July 4, 1889, Protracted Meeting held at Choates Creek, started first Saturday and Sunday." Lillie Cates, wife of Cecil Cates, also recalls the third church which was built across the highway on the north side of the highway and east of the creek bed on the site of the present church. T.R. Sneed owns a picture of the third Choates Creek Church house. At the time of the photo, the road up Choates Creek hollow ran between the creek bed and the church, probably even in the creek. Erection date of this church is not clear -- it could have stood from about 1900-1911. It is possible that this church was damaged in the flood of 1902 which sent Mr. J.A. Choates, his wife and mother fleeing to high ground to camp until the water receded. The Choates decided to be buried on the spot where they camped and there their remains rest on the hill west of the church. Willie L. Johnson, Sr. remembers the roof of the "old" church blew off and shook up the rest of the building so the building was leveled to the ground and the logs were used in 1912 to build the fourth and present church. The fashion apparel of members of Choates Creek Church in the past is vividly remembered by some of the older members. The boys of this era wore corduroy knickers which buckled at the knee and caps that matched; colored knee socks covered the rest of their legs. This style was very unpopular with the boys, but nevertheless, it was required of them until they were well into their teens. Fifty to seventy years ago the women made the majority of their clothes, cutting them from newspaper patterns that were passed from hand to hand around the community. They made cotton print dresses that had to be ironed with a heated flat iron. Many of the older women wore starched white aprons. No mature women were seen without a bonnet or hat and gloves on, but Mr. J. Leroy Kelly recalled an incident that threatened the tradition: "They had a big revival meeting down here with a fellow from Nashville by the name of Stricklin and they were just a shouting and shouting and having a big time. An old lady by the name of Hobie got happy and her bonnet flew off and she said, 'Thank the Lord! Hang it on a nail!'" Jewel Duncan Johnson remembers her maternal grandfather Ollie Cates telling her about his sister, Lillie Arrie Cates Nickelson, and her husband Nick inviting some relatives home with them during a revival. Lillie was blind. "The bedrooms were built away from the kitchen. First morning there, Uncle Nick called breakfast; one man looked down the hill toward the kitchen and said, 'breakfast can't be ready because there's no light in the kitchen.' Uncle Nick laughed and asked, 'Why does Lillie need a light?' They went down and she had a table full of breakfast. Aunt Lillie was a little woman who moved quickly, was a wonderful homemaker, raised her son from infancy, and was a good church worker, testifying with influence." Activities at Choates Creek enabled people to meet and engage in fellowship and, since the people in the community were already acquainted, many of the socials had the atmosphere of a large family gathering. Often the congregation met under the big trees and held prayer meetings, particularly preceding revivals. The revival meetings were all-day events and the families would bring lunches and spread pallets under the trees on which to rest. A minister would be invited to stay with a family during the revival or sometime stay with more than one family, as most revivals were two weeks in duration. Not only the minister, but his entire family was invited, and a whole week was set aside by the hosts for extensive cleaning and cooking. Mae Felker Johnson, before her death, remembered vividly how the delicious pies, cakes, cookies and other goodies were baked and stored in her mother, Martha's pie safe awaiting the appetites of the families. This was during the first two decades of the 20th century when a slower pace was prevalent and visits were cherished events as they were not common occurrences. As people filed into the church, the men would sit on the right pews while the women sat on the left. At some revivals, however, the men would stand outside and talk about their crops until called in. Still, participation was high and many people would get "worked up" at the meetings. One humorous anecdote told to Carl Felker by his father, Virgil: "A man who was very fond of fox hunting and who obviously spent a great deal of time thinking about it, had attended Choates Creek Church for many years, but had yet to profess faith. So, one night at a revival meeting, sitting by a window on purpose to hear the dogs, he heard hounds in the distance closing in on the chase. As the fox ran under the church, with the dog just behind, he was so overcome that without thinking, he shouted, 'Sic-um, Get 'em!' The congregation misinterpreted his outburst as shouting and someone persuaded him to come forward to the altar on profession of faith. Therefore, to avoid embarrassment to all concerned, he graciously went along with the idea." Holding singing schools in preparation of revivals was traditional. Revivals were annually begun the first Sunday in August and in 1910 right before big meeting time, a singing school was held by Mr. Self from Lawrence County, perhaps Loretto. Hubert Ratliff's mother, Ella Ratliff, and Clara Felker (Thurman) were organists during those years. This 1910 singing school was held just before the church was torn away to rebuild. Included were: Walter Hicks Sandusky, Effie Harwell (Johnson), Maudie Johnson, Sandford Rosenquist, Sadie Cates (Hickman), Johnny Lee Johnson, James Edward Sandusky, Willie Johnson, Maude Felker (Neal), Mae Felker (Johnson), Ruby Cooper (Felker), Alice Harwell (Felker), Lela Johnson (Felker), Era Cooper, Cornelius Sandusky, Tommy Johnson, Walter Harwell, Willie Richardson, Marion Palmer , 2 more unidentified and Teacher, Mr. Self. **Note: names in parenthesis are the girl's married names. Willie Johnson and Cecil Cates remember when the shackled church was torn away, the logs were saved, the grounds cleaned, new rock and concrete foundation laid, and a bigger and better church raised in the picturesque setting so often mentioned by today's passerby. Carpenters who erected the worship house were Virg Shaw and Albert Royce from Lawrence County. Mr. William (Bud) Harwell boarded the carpenters; John Ratliff gave timber and Newt Johnson sawed the framing wood. Logs from the old church were put back into the building. Joe Kilpatrick went in his buggy from house to house in the neighborhood collecting donations of 25 cents to 50 cents to build the church. Other supporting families were: Cates, Blessing, Clayton, Nickelson, Felker, Clark, Cooper, Smith, Estes, Richardson, Davis. The outside was poplar wood weather boarding; the roof was silver sheet iron (tin) shingles. Windows were Gothic in style with four on each side, and one on either side of the double front doors, and two tiny windows of the same style just back of the pulpit. In addition to double front doors giving entrance to a tiny vestibule, another set of double doors opened into the sanctuary. A rear door opened to the back yard at the northwest end of the church house. The windows provide a view of the cemetery and hills to the east and the creek and highway to the west. Light came from ten (10) coal oil lamps attached to the walls, which were later replaced by alladin lamps attached to the walls in the same places. In mid-center front hung a coal oil chandelier which could be reached to light by using a step ladder. Mr. Walter Harwell lit the lamps and made fires in an old 36" slide-top wood stove which stood 24" high in the middle of the church. The stove was later replaced by a 48" tall cylindrical coal-burning heater. An arched Gothic overhead of the one-room structure was finished with 3/8" pine ceiling wood. Around the wall base this same 3/8" pine strip was placed vertically to give the wainscotting finish which is still there. Floors were laid of 3" wide pine flooring wood. The church seats were constructed of yellow poplar cut from the hills at the left rear of the church and put together with four-cornered nails. The seats were about 15 feet long with a two-slat back and finished on the aisle ends with curved armrests. The ends next to the wall had no armrests. A few bench seats were constructed with no backs and a couple were about four to five feet long. At the time the 1912 church was constructed, the road up Choates Creek Hollow off the main highway ran alongside the creek bed west of the church building and a wooden rail fence stood only a couple of feet from the east side of the church. A beech tree, four feet in diameter, with roots above ground, high enough to sit on, was just south of the church's double front doors. There was a sycamore tree at the rear northwest corner which was about 3- feet in diameter; this sycamore was sawed down because members were fearful it would fall and damage the church. It was to rings on the beech trees below the road that horses and buggies were hooked. In the 1930's Little Dan Smith and Claude Durham planted the two maple trees near the creek bed side of the church. They planted four/six but only two still stand. They have shaded many church goers at dinner on the grounds, ice cream suppers, Bible School play, etc. Dowell Wilkinson gave the bell for the steeple which was a vital means of communication. In a small, white, rural area the toll of the bell was distinct. It summoned people to worship service and Sunday School. It signaled a death in the community by tolling at 7:00am the day of a funeral, three rings with one minute of silence between rings. This indicated grave digging time. William (Bud) Harwell rang the bell faithfully until he died in 1935. During the Depression years of the 30's, eggs, chickens, cured meats and dairy products were sold by members as a means for raising church funds. Hay, corn, and farm crop items were given to the preachers in lieu of money. Christmas has traditionally been celebrated in the church. A tree was erected with packages tied to it and gifts were brought by families who wished to exchange gifts. The children would recite and there was usually a large fellowship dinner afterwards. This tradition still exists. The children's literature of that day was 3-" x 5" class cards with a biblical picture on the front, the related story on the back, headed with a scripture text and concluded with a memory verse. During World War I and II the Ladies of the church were involved in activities to benefit the soldiers. They rolled bandages, knitted much-needed socks and other articles, and made what was called "ditty bags" which were simple cloth drawstring bags containing razor, soap, comb and other items for hygiene along with a Testament. In 1937 Maggie Richardson was president of the Ladies Aid; in that year Christine Sandusky Trapp and Jewel Duncan Johnson joined the Ladies Aid and are still active in women's church work. Then they had all-day meetings, taking a dish for lunch. The programs started at 1 o'clock and adjournment was at 4 o'clock. The meeting were in the homes and each mother took her children with her. One favorite gathering was "quiltings" which were held in honor of the newly betrothed. A double-wedding ring design was the customary pattern which indicated the approaching marriage. Weddings were very simple and basic with few witnesses. After the wedding a couple was often "serenaded" or "chivaried" in which a band of local people would bang on pots and pans or sing loudly outside of the honeymoon spot in order to keep the new couple company. When there was a birth in the community, many delicate articles were presented to the new arrival and the usual policy of cooking and cleaning for the family was employed. In the mid-40's the Ladies Aid became the Women's Society of Christian Service. The records show members during the 1940's as Camilla Miller, Ruby Felker, Ada Cates, Jewel Johnson, Christine Trapp, Kathleen Duncan, Helen Dorsey, Hazel Barnes, Edna Brindley, Alice Felker, Ethel McCormick, Cenie Thurman, Ella Reed, Alene Cooper, Willie Mae Palmer, Opalene Barnickle, Vivie Pratt, Cora Sneed, Eva Jones, Birdie Mae Sandusky. In addition to doing the church work , baby showers were given to expectant mothers. Quilts were quilted for members a $2.00 each and for non-members at $2.50 each. In 1947 the women pieced a quilt with family member names on it, quilted it and then presented it to Hilan P. Miniehan, their Martin College part-time student preacher who was marrying Hallena Bigham. When the couple arrived on the regular meeting day of the WSCS, the quilt was spread over all the other gifts and they thought the quilt was a part of the program for the day; they were so excited to learn the quilt was hiding a gift shower for them and read with excitement all the names on the quilt. Making quilts and having ice cream suppers were fund-raising means as well as providing social activity. While the men were responsible for making the ice cream in the crank-type freezers, the women baked and brought delicious cakes for the occasion. To raise the money to paint the church in 1947, the WSCS held an ice cream supper and went from house to house soliciting hens. The women raised the money; the men painted the church. Dues for the WSCS in the 40's were 10 cents per month. During one specific revival meeting held in August 1937, Brother George N. Stem brought moving messages where 36 people were motivated to make commitments during that revival. The Baptismal ceremonies were performed at the altar and in the creek near the church. Carl Felker was one of the 36 who professed faith and later became a minister. He and six other relatives came into the ministry from Choates Creek Church. In addition to those seven, Caft Clayton and James Robert (Jim) Clayton also joined the ministry from Choates Creek. Listed are the ministers who have come out of Choates Creek: and to show the degree of family related-ness in this church, their kinship to Carl Felker is shown. T.T. (Tuck) Crowder - his picture hangs in the church as the man who deeded the land to Choates Creek in 1871. (Great great great grandfather of Carl Felker). Caft Clayton - reared up Choates creek Hollow and preached 2 or 3 years at Choates Creek before transferring to Lawrenceburg with his wife and children. James Robert (Jim) Clayton - his picture also hangs in the church; he joined the Tennessee Conference in 1893 and taught school in the Choates Creek School in 1893. Raymond R. (Railroad) Smith - went in the Tennessee Conference and was later transferred to the Memphis Conference. (Third cousin of Carl Felker). Willie Dowell Wilkinson - joined the Tennessee Conference and moved to the Holston Conference of East Tennessee. (Second cousin of Carl Felker). Jacob Cornelius Sandusky - a lifetime of ministry in the Tennessee Conference of the Methodist Church.(Third cousin of Carl Felker). Martha Vera Felker - she and her husband, Jesse Hatfield, are now (1979) where they have been for several years; jointly pastoring a church in downtown Detroit, Michigan. Active long after most would have retired, this culminates a lifetime of missionary work within the Continental United States. Truly having traveled though out our nation: preaching and teaching, with excellent gospel singing anywhere and everywhere they could find an open door; no one has given more fully of themselves in the service of our Lord. During this time, they raised a son (James Hatfield) and a daughter (Hannah) that are as fine and devoted Christians as can be found. (Aunt of Carl Felker). Virgil Pafford Felker - a simple man with a profound faith that caused many who know him to seek after it for themselves. For 26 years he was a rural Methodist pastor in western Middle Tennessee. (Father of Carl). Carl Gaines Felker - probably best described as a "seeker" in the faith that was first known by contagion from his father and nurtured by God and Geneva (his wife). A quarter century in the pulpit has given way to individualized ministry. Although the ministers from 1854 to 1869 who served Choates Creek are not known, records show the following ministers served Choates Creek along with other churches on the Circuits:
Ministers Who Have Served
Choates Creek United Methodist Church
T.T. Crowder 1869 1870  
J.S. Finley     Could have served until 1870
William Clayton 1870 1872  
J.W. Register 1872 1874  
William Clayton 1874 1877  
J.R. Fuller 1877 1881  
C.D. Wilson 1881 1883  
J.N. Turntine 1883 1884  
J.E. Hurlbut 1884 1885  
J.W. Faulkner 1885 1886  
S.H. Stricklin 1886 1888  
S.T. Smith 1888 1889  
W.H. Stricklin 1889 1894  
J.W. Osment 1894 1897  
B.W. Blessing 1897 1899  
J.R. Thomas 1899 1901  
J.W. Droke 1901 1902  
J.D. Holland 1902 1904  
Virgil Pafford 1904 1905 Virgil Pafford Felker named for him.
T.J. Stricklin 1905 1909  
H.P. Keathley 1909 1910  
Virgil Pafford 1910 1912  
C.L. Elliott 1912 1914  
E.M. Nunally 1914 1915  
C.W. Clayton 1915 April 1918  
J.R. Clayton April 1918 October 1918  
J.C. Ritchie 1918 1919  
J.F. Blandenhorn 1919 1920  
T.J. Freeman 1920 1921  
P.E. Akeley 1921 1922  
W.F. Bedford 1922 1928  
C.E. Aikin 1928 1929  
B.W. Blessing 1929 1936  
George W. Stem 1936 1941  
Farris F. Moore 1941 1942  
W.B. Sanders October 1942 May 1943  
C.W. Richards May 1943 October 1943  
Richard Roe 1943 1944  
O.W. Jones 1944 1945  
Jeff W. Fryer 1945 1947  
Richard E. Stevenson 1947 1948  
Henry J. Neal 1948 1949  
Gueary Reed 1949 1951  
Amos Wesley Holden 1951 1954  
John Hight 1954 1955  
David H. Dickens 1955 1957  
George Troy Bunch 1957 1961  
James E. Eddings 1961 1963  
Horace L. Woodard 1963 1965  
Herman D. Buchanan 1965 1969 * See Note below.
Paul Thompson 1969 1971  
Carl G. Felker 1971 1976  
*It was during this ministry that Choates Creek was dropped from the New Prospect Circuit of the Columbia/Mt. Pleasant District. Reverend W.C. Westenberger, President of Martin College along with some students, gave us not only two but four great services monthly while we were not serviced by a circuit of the Tennessee Annual Conference. District Superintendent J. Paul Williams sent a minister in July 1969 and placed us on the Pisgah Circuit in Giles County. Of all the past and present functions of Choates Creek Church, there is one which has occurred from the time the church was founded. This event, called Children's Day, is the most celebrated and most anticipated gathering of the entire year. Children's Day is held the first Sunday in June. It has followed the same pattern for all of its years except for dress and location. In early time, the girls were expected to wear solid white from their dresses to their shoes. The only color was the ribbon sash of their garment or the brown straw of the leghorn hats. The early location was south of Highway 64, across the road from the present church site, under the huge beech trees. In the 1930's and 40's older young people took an active part in the plays and drills. It was a time for new Sunday clothes, new shoes and to participate "scared to death." In recent years the bell ringing has become a part of Children's Day as a link with the past; its ringing signals the beginning of the program; the children march in, participate in flag ceremonies, express their talent by singing songs, playing the piano and reciting poetry or "speeches." Children's Day is homecoming for present and past members of Choates Creek; families gather in the cemetery for grave decorating before the children's program; after the children's part of the hour, the oldest mother, the youngest mother and the mother of the most children are recognized and given corsages. Afterwards there is a dinner-on-the-grounds where friends and relatives exchange information about their lives, loved ones and show off new spouses or family additions. This meal brings on scrumptious delicacies along with just plain old down-home cooking. In the afternoon, singers come for groups and special singing from about one until three o'clock. "Children are people who are going to carry on what you have started. They are going to sit where you are sitting and, when you are gone, attend to those things which you think are important. You may adopt all the policies you please, but how they are carried out depends on the children. They will assume control of your cities, states and nations. They are going to take over your churches, schools, universities and corporations. All your books are going to be judged, praised, or condemned by them. The faith of humanity is in their hands." --- Abraham Lincoln Electricity came to the community and electric lights were installed in the church in the early 40's. Light globes were about a foot in diameter, cone shaped and hung on chains from the 25-foot high ceiling. About 1955 the old coal burning stove in the center of the church was taken out; the church was attached to the natural gas line which runs along U.S. Highway 64. Knowing that the high ceilings would cause the church to be difficult to heat since the heat would go up to the high ceiling, the church was renovated and the ceiling of celotex was lowered to about 15 feet height. The walls were sheet - rocked and painted above the 36 inch tall pine wood base. About this point in time, the pulpit chairs disappeared. Euclid and Christine Trapp purchased two more as nearly like the two armed chairs which disappeared. In the mid-60's three Sunday School rooms, a bath, hallway and storage attic were added to the rear of the church. In the late 40's and early 50's for several falls at cotton picking time, Camilla Miller and Jewel Johnson loaded the church children in their cars and went to Lawrence County to pick cotton to earn money for the building fund for Sunday School rooms. How those who picked cotton did wish Camilla Miller, who dies in 1963, could have lived to see the Sunday School rooms added to the church. The rooms were paneled and heated by electric wall heaters. Clara Thurman made the draperies. In the 1970's the WSCS became the United Methodist Women. United Methodist Women is a very important organization of the Choates Creek Church; it meets on Wednesday evening following the first Sunday of each month. Though small, in active members, it conducts a meaningful program at meetings, does a tremendous amount of work for fund-raising, promotes Vacation Bible School, implements Children's Day, arranges fellowship and laymen suppers, helps needy or burned-out families, and each Christmas the women are in charge of a Christmas Worship Service and a fellowship supper following. The UMW sends cards to the sick and bereaved of our church and larger community; the UMW does not send flowers to the sick as this so rapidly depletes funds. Flowers are sent in the church's name upon the death of a church member. Jewel Johnson who has served as president many different times through the years, said the dues were raised from 10 cents to 25 cents per month. In the 1970's Choates Creek United Methodist Church made many additions to enhance the church building and sanctuary for worship service. A new hardwood floor was laid by members of the congregation with member Luther Miller overseeing the job and donating his time. Carpet was installed on the front platform and down the middle aisle. The church seats were getting old, over a half century of age as a matter of fact. A decision was made to replace them. Deep sentiment was felt; the backless benches had been used for work tables in Sunday School and for Vacation Bible School before there were Sunday School rooms and all activities were held in the sanctuary -- the church's only room. All the old seats were sold to raise funds and as souvenirs. Used pews from Coleman Memorial United Methodist Church in Lawrenceburg were purchased by members; plaques were placed on the aisle end indicating in whose memory or honor each was placed in the church. They were:
Billy and Gail Massey 1972
Mr. And Mrs. Edward Massey 1972
The Glover Family 1972
Bonnie and Connie Campbell
Noble and Louise Campbell
Mrs. Ada Cates
Mr. And Mrs. Euclid Trapp 1972
Clara Thurman
Don Barnickle August 22, 1973
by his Family
Virgil P. Felker Family
Rev. J.C. Sandusky
Mrs. Maude Neal
Hettie Duncan by Carter Duncan
Camilla Sandusky Miller
Mr. And Mrs. Walter Hicks Sandusky
Delmas Johnson,
son of Mr. And Mrs. Flenoy Johnson
Jack Cates by his daughter
Newt and Florence Johnson
In Remembrance of
Mr. And Mrs. Jacob Sandusky
Bessie and Emery Crowder purchased a new pulpit for the church. They gave the fluorescent lighted cross, which hangs behind the pulpit, and the communion table from Coleman which matched the pews. With the acquisition of a communion table, the communion rail, over which many a child had leaned to say his or her's Children's Day speech, needed to be removed but there was just too much sentiment attached to that rail to let it leave the church; therefore, it was anchored to the floor in front of the choir section. For the communion table a brass cross and candle set and colored scarves were secured by the Emery Crowders. Whenever there was a project to be done by the church, Emery Crowder was ready, "to do what we can while we are still here." The Intermediate Sunday School Class purchased white linen cloths for communion services and as a class project they placed the large Bible on the pulpit. To make the communion service complete, the United Methodist Women bought a brass communion serving set. A window air-conditioner was donated by David Kirby and installed by Flenoy Johnson for the sactuary. Doran Johnson gave a window air-conditioner for the Sunday School rooms. October 22, 1978, upon the first wedding anniversary of John and Gail Massey White, John oil-painted the "Cross of Calvary" scene and donated it to the church and placed it on the northeast wall at the right of the pulpit. John was responsible for the front cover art on our 1979 history booklet. During this period, services were held twice a month at 8:45 a.m. on first Sunday and at 11 o'clock on third Sunday. Sunday School was held every Sunday morning at 10 o'clock. Lay leaders and lay persons sometimes spoke on second and fourth Sundays or guest speakers were invited. Choir practice was held on Wednesday nights with the UMW meeting one Wednesday night of the month. The Board of Trustees administers the affairs of the church and standard Methodist hymnals and teaching material were used. David Kirby was Administrative Board Chairman for many years for Choates Creek. Choates Creek was a member of the Pisgah Charge and David Kirby was Charge Treasurer. Baptism was performed by sprinkling, pouring or immersion and communion was served every third Sunday. Conference and Laymen meetings met at least annually. Membership in 1979 totaled 44. Individual families were responsible for the church's maintenance. A schedule was posted on the bulletin board of the vestibule and the families who wanted to assist in the cleaning signed or found their dates to clean, turn on the heat or air, to mow the lawn, etc. Beside the worship and business functions, the social activities continued, vital and enjoyable as in the past. Along with traditional gatherings, there were teas, showers, fellowship dinners and many other happy gatherings. Anything which has lasted this length of time deserves not only recognition but close inspection as well. What has been the significance of this church, enabling its existence for such a long duration? Geneva Felker said, ". . .the church is a very vital part of the community. That's the life of the community. That's what has held it together. It is the thing that has meshed everything that means anything to those people because that's where the children have been christened, the young people have been married, that's where they've joined the church, that's where all the sacraments. . .have been taken. Most of the time, they're buried in the cemetery of the church, even if they're not members. I think small white churches in the countryside is what Methodism is all about." Emery Crowder, in an interview about the church on April 30, 1976, so beautifully expressed how he felt about it, "It's just an old home church. . .". Though the appearance of Choates Creek Church and its members have changed somewhat through the years, the attitude and atmosphere have remained. The same dedication and concern of the founders was present in all of its 44 members. Their services remained much as they were in the past and the pastor was still a "circuit rider" minister serving up to five churches, two or three every other Sunday. The goals of the church have been to save souls and provide a house of divine worship for the community; the church has not faltered in striving for these goals. They have been realized in the actions and activities through the years. Ada Lucas Gates, oldest living member, born February 2, 1884 expressed her philosophy in an interview at Fairhaven Nursing Home in Pulaski on May 3 ,1976, "You ought to carry out religion like business. Try to live a good Christian life, because if you've missed heaven, you've missed it all. We're all working for the same goal, and it begins right now." PART II Ada Cates died on April 28, 1980. The business, religion and the endeavor to live a good Christian Life continue at Choates Creek United Methodist Church. The Reverend Frank Rouse served as pastor from 1976 through 1984 with the help of his son-in-law Bill Rogers. Brother and Mrs. Rouse were instrumental in upgrading Choates Creek's music as Mrs. Rouse was a musician and he held an interest in good music to add to the worship services. Mrs. Rouse taught the pianist, Nedra Kirby, techniques and worked diligently with the choir. In 1980 a well was dug and water was put in the bathroom. In 1982 storm windows were specially made to fit the Gothic windows. As was the custom, money for these ventures was raised by pledges from members and collected prior to getting the projects underway. From 1984 to 1986, the church was blessed through the services and guidance of The Reverend Marvin H. Thompson and Martin Methodist College student Lisa Stone. The next year The Reverend Sterling Logel, serving Pisgah Circuit, preached two Sundays per month at Choates Creek and The Reverend Marvin H. Thompson who had "retired" preached the other two Sundays. These two pastors were gifted in delivering articulate and meaningful sermons. It was a treat to have a preacher every Sunday morning because for years we had shared with circuits and were accustomed to having "preaching" only every other Sunday. In July 1987 Choates Creek United Methodist Church for the first time in its history was appointed by the Conference a full-time minister, Mrs. Jackie Allegood. Choates Creek was a one-charge church. This turnabout came as a result of several factors -- Jackie Allegood was the wife of a minister who served another church close by; she was a college student; and Choates Creek's geographic location endorsed this change. Being a one-church charge has been a blessing for the Choates Creek members. It flourished with services every Sunday, having a pastor to call its own. Service times were set to accommodate our congregation with Sunday School at 9:30 and Worship Service at 10:30. Jackie Allegood activated the administrative board and all the committees. As a result much was accomplished. The church needed some face lifting which it received with a new outdoor sign painted in the spring of 1988 by David and Kay Glover. The Christmas before the Glovers had saw-cut the characters for our first outside nativity scene and supervised the painting of those characters by our United Methodist Youth Fellowship group which had also become active. Mike Brooks erected a handrail at the back church entrance to the Sunday School rooms. By 1990 with the aid of Flenoy Johnson, Mike Brooks and Steve Hodges had constructed the sound box at the rear of the sanctuary. Brooks and Hodges varnished the wainscotting and gave the walls a new coat of paint. The pulpit chairs received new covers. A small organ for the church was purchased from the Allegoods. A dream for a fellowship hall began taking hold and soon named to the Building Committee were Flenoy Johnson, Steve Hodges, Mike Brooks, Roy Fosnight, Treasurer. Marian Fosnight was elected Chairperson. Members made their personal commitments and fundraiser letters were sent out to friends and relatives to secure funds. Under Allegood's tenure, members were added, fellowship was good and the church flourished. In 1990 Jackie Allegood's husband was moved by Conference and, of course, she left Choates Creek. The Reverend Marvin H. Thompson who was a retired minister of the Tennessee Conference and lived in our neighborhood, served a one-year term. He delivered eloquent sermons quoting from memory scriptures, poetry, and world renowned persons. In 1991 we had the good fortune of receiving a part-time lay pastor who lived in close proximity to Choates Creek Church. The Reverend Ray McDonald came with his active family and the church consistently grew. McDonald, in addition to overseeing the functions of the administrative board and keeping the committees active, started implementation for erecting a new fellowship hall. The plans had been approved by the Pulaski District Superintendent Jerry Mayo and Conference in February 1990 and fund raising had begun. In 1991 funds were sufficient to get started. The plan called for placing the fellowship hall at the rear of the existing church building. Thinking that the space at the back of the church was too limited for the new facility, the children of Flenoy and Jewel Johnson purchased a spot of land west of Choates Creek from Mrs. Kay Parker Hillis at an undisclosed figure for the site of the proposed Fellowship Hall. In 1992, Doran, Cheryl, Linda and Nedra presented this gift in honor of their parents at a Sunday morning worship service in appreciation for their nurturing and for their long-time faithfulness to the Choates Creek Church. Roy Fosnight and Pete Flanagan constructed a walk bridge over the creek so work on the fellowship hall could begin. The Building Committee met regularly and construction began with donated time and talent. By the summer of 1994 the building was ready for use even though it was not totally completed. Thirty-six hundred dollars of memorials to Linda Johnson Yokley were sufficient to build the kitchen cabinets. The Gwyn Derryberry family purchased the stove and refrigerator with memorials to his mother Jewel Derryberry. Erma Flanagan placed fixtures in both restrooms in memory of Pete Flanagan. In 1994, although it was in a building project itself, the church was called upon to help with a special mission. A Martin Methodist College student, Abisha Chigumira, purchased a van which he knew his aged father in Zimbabwe could readily use since his father either walked or used public transportation to move across Zimbabwe preaching the Gospel. Abish asked Nedra Trebing at the college to contact his close friends with whom he had some commit- ment to pay for the transport of the van to Zimbabwe. Dr. Bill Starnes, a former missionary to Zimbabwe, suggested to Nedra that the project be conducted through the auspices of her church. She presented the idea to the administrative board and the project was taken on. The church raised $6,000 with the help of other United Methodists and the van reached Zimbabwe before Christmas. The Reverend and Mrs. Chigumira attended our church during a trip to the United States in the summer of 1994 to visit two of their sons living in America. With the church's smallness, every person contributes and results are felt. Official records reveal official responsibilities. However, numerous tasks are performed that are not recorded. For example, for each worship service Cheryl J. Rose places seasonal fresh flowers at the altar. Musical specials are performed by soloists Regina Sneed Carmon, Beth Johnson, Sandra Fosnight Norwood and Erma Flanagan. The temperature of the building is comfortable due to Gwyn Derryberry's faithful trek to the church before service. The grass gets cut, bulletin boards get "done", etc. etc. Most often no verbal credit is given to the responsible individuals. Serving is one of the commitments each member made upon joining Choates Creek. Non-members serve equally, often anonymously. The United Methodist Women meet regularly and can take responsibility for much work that gets accomplished for the church. The women seek out ways for worship and fellowship within the UMW, within the church body, and generally attend to the good of the church and community. Names from a current UMW roster are printed here:
Barnickle, Tangie
Barnickle, Jennie S.
Campbell, Connie
Campbell, Louise
Carmon, Regina H.
Clifton, Alene
Curtis, Ursula H.
Derryberry, Francis A.
Dickerson, Bonnie Campbell
Evans, Elizabeth (Mrs. Jerry) (Vallie Gainey)
Flanagan, Erma K.
Fosnight, Marian
Glover, Sandy
Glover, Mrs. Melvin
Hodges, Sandra S.
Hooper, Ruthy Bowden
Johnson, Amanda M.
Johnson, Jewel D.
Lovell, Nora S.
McCracken, Ruth
McDonald, Vickie L.
Medley, Sharon N.
Mitchell, Martha Jo M.
Norwood, Sandra F.
Parker, Patsy J.
Rose, Cheryl J.
Salas, Sherry P.
Sampson, Carol
Smith, Polly A.
Sneed, Florence
Stack, Sherry B.
Trapp, Christine S.
Trebing, Nedra J.
White, Andrea
White, Ella Mae
The church continues to function much like a business -- with budgets, meetings and records. Our focal point and destination remain -- just like Ada Cates so aptly prayed for on her knees for nearly a century at Choates Creek, and said from the nursing home nearly two decades ago -- to live good Christian lives enabling us to reach the ultimate success, Heaven.

CHOATES CREEK UNITED METHODIST CEMETERY The Choates Creek Cemetery and church grounds were deeded in 1871 by T.T. Crowder and in 1925 a road was cut up Choates Creek Hollow which separated the church and cemetery. Rows nine and ten appear to be the oldest area of the cemetery with one baby gravestone dating back to 1810. A few are simply illegible and several graves are marked only with creek rocks. Graves are scattered over a gently rolling hill with large hills in the background. For many years the only maintenance on the cemetery was meeting of interested community person one to three times a summer to "cut off" the cemetery with lively lad and briar blades. The annual cemetery workings did little to keep the grounds clean. In September of 1949 interested persons brought lunch each Thursday for several consecutive weeks and spent the day clearing briars, bushes, etc. until the grounds were in shape to be mowed with a lawnmower. Eight truckloads of debris were removed from the cemetery. Net fence wire was purchased to enclose the grounds and before it could be strung, the wire was stolen from the site. Additional wire was purchased and the cemetery was fenced. April 1, 1950 Flenoy Johnson accepted the responsibility of mow- ing the cemetery in the summers and going with bereaved families to select a burial site. His wife, Jewel, was designated as cemetery treasurer. Listed are funds collected and expended which included uprooting cedar stumps, purchase of additional burial land, wire fencing, paint, aluminum gate, brick columns and ironwork over the entrance of the lane leading to the cemetery. From the figures one can see that Flenoy received minimal remuneration for his years of labor. Cemetery Collections and Expenditures
1950 $28.38 $102.00 $103.88   $26.50
1951 26.50 50.00 49.50   27.00
1952 27.00 41.00 45.50   22.50
1953 22.50 79.00 43.00   58.50
1954 58.50 20.00 35.50   43.00
1955 43.00 44.50 32.00   55.50
1956 55.50 30.00 29.50   56.00
1957 56.00 29.50 49.50   36.00
1958 36.00 46.50 40.50   42.00
1959 42.00 65.50 57.50   50.00
1960 50.00 45.50 32.50   63.00
1961 63.00 33.00 60.00   36.00
1962 36.00 42.25 38.00   40.25
1963 40.25 44.08 56.00   28.33
1964 28.33 89.00 41.00   76.33
1965 76.33 67.00 86.00   57.33
1966 57.33 42.00 45.00   54.33
1967 54.33 57.00 84.33   27.00
1968 27.00 87.25 48.00   66.25
1969 66.25 54.00 68.25   52.00
1970 52.00 76.75 92.00   36.75
1971 36.75 170.75 82.50 75.00 50.00
1972 50 116.00 125.00 25.00 16.00
1973 16.00 234.00 125.00 125.00 0.00
1974 0.00 319.00 105.00 200.00 14.00
1975 14.00 283.31 186.50 34.90 75.91
1976 75.91 529.00 138.00 445.00 21.91
1977 21.91 594.37 172.00 423.37 20.91
1978 20.91 517.00 205.00 305.00 27.91
Since 1973 the Children's Day (home coming) offering has been placed in a savings account to become financially able to set up a perpetual care trust fund. In the '70's Mr. Gilbert Howell donated a strip of land for burial ground and a strip of land for parking cars along the lane leading to the cemetery. Flenoy asked Giles County to level the additional strip with surplus county dirt which they did at no cost to Choates Creek. Treasurer Jewel Johnson kept tabs much in the same manner as listed above of the accumulated donations. The trustees took 6,000 accumulated donations on 3/8/81 and established an irrevocable trust fund for the perpetual care of the cemetery at The Union Bank of Pulaski. In April 1991 Mr. Robert Roe of The Union Bank notified the cemetery trustees by probate court of Giles County that The Union Bank was merging with another bank and could no longer serve as our perpetual care fund trustee. The Union Bank resigned trusteeship and General Sessions Judge Robert E. Lee appointed successor trustees. The same trustees were renamed: Carl G. Felker, Flenoy Johnson, Jewel Duncan Johnson, D. Doran Johnson, and Nedra Johnson Trebing. These trustees were placed under a bond of 13,000 each; no fees are paid to these trustees. At this juncture, 6,200 was placed under bond in First Federal Savings and Loan of Giles County, which later became Colonial Bank. A checking account for the annual budget was kept at The Union Bank who merged with Third National Bank. The total in 1995 for perpetual care is approxi- mately 12,500. In 1993 a new fence was erected around the cemetery grounds and by the lane leading to the cemetery. In 1994 Richland Productions of Pulaski made a video tape featuring Jewel and Flenoy Johnson. In it they tell how long they have lived in the Choates Creek community and how they have continuously been involved with the church and why they had a particular interest in seeing the cemetery maintained. That video can be purchased. Decoration Day is homecoming and Children's Day which falls on the first Sunday in June. Flowers are placed on graves beginning in May. On Memorial Day in 1995 American Flags appeared on the graves of our five Veterans. A request is made that grave flowers be placed so they won't be on the ground between March and November. Flenoy coordinates with the local funeral directors in Lawrenceburg, Pulaski and beyond when a burial spot is needed for church members, community citizens or their relatives. Choates Creek Cemetery is governed by the same Christian ethics engaged by Choates Creek United Methodist Church. Any denomination is welcome. Known to be buried here are Seven Day Adventist, Mennonite, Baptist and, of course, Methodist. Some of the ministers called to preach out of Choates Creek Church have come back to the cemetery as their final resting place. Southwest 1st row: Denton L. Durham, 10/22/63 - 5/31/93 "Durham" William M. (Pete), 6/12/26 - 2/25/92 and Annie Elise, 1/10/36 "Faulkner" R.V., 8/21/04 - 10/12/85 and Louise T., 1/9/21 Marjorie Marie (Durham) Holley, 2/3/25 - 7/17/73 Wilma Durham Whitmire, no dates "Durham" Claud E., 1889 - 1965 and Nora Gertrude, 1899 - 1965 "Thurman" Willis Henry, 1862 - 1959 and Roceni B., 1871 - 1953 Melvin Glover, 1905 - 1954 Geraldine Glover, 1951 - 1952, daughter of Melvin and Alberta 2nd row: Imogene Sandusky Gallegly, 7/1/27 - 7/14/89 "Sandusky" Marie R., 1902 - 1985 and Rev. Jacob Conelius, 1898 - 1967 Lonnie Wayne Wollard, 1958 - 1990 "Sandusky" Walker Hicks, 1901 - 1951 and Birdie Mae, 1901 - 1971 Viola M. Felker, 1908 - 1945 Talmadge Felker, 1913 - 1939 Bobby Reese Felker, son of Ozro and Lela, 1927 - 1928 Alford K. Felker, 1858 - 1927 Nora Felker, 1873 - 1945, wife of A.K. Bessie Lorene Bivins, 1898 - 1949 "Smith" William A., 1835 - 1912 and Srena E., 1867 - 1941 Dee Allen Smith, 1907 - 1966, PFC, USA Army, World War II W.L. Felker, Jr., 1919 - 1920 "Felker" M.A., 1872 - 1923 and J.S. 1869 - 1918 "Felker" Viva T., 1904 - 1984 and Rev. Virgil, 1905 - 1968 "Thurman" Clara F., 1896 - 1970 and Johnnie E. 1889 - 1977 - wed 12/25/12 Raybon Gilbert Thurman, 1914 - 1918, son of Clara and Johnnie 3rd row: "Trapp" Christine S., 3/9/19 - and D. Euclid 6/3/18 - 8/24/87 S.J. (Jack Cates, 1874 - 1934 and Ada L., 2/28/1884 - 4/28/1980 Tiny rock - no name Elizabeth Curtis, 1850 - 1917 Tiny rock - Initials M A T Charles Emory Leighton, 1882 - 1958 Elizabeth, wife of C.E. Leighton, 1893 - 1919, Mother of Jim, Mary, David "Kelley" Martha C., 1873 - 1961 and Henry, 1865 - 1940 "Kelley" Delilah, 1891 - 1976 and David L., 1891 - 1918 4th row: Elizabeth Estes, 1839 - 1912 "York" Thomas M., 1861 - 1939 and Sarah F., 1867 - 1948 Freelon Z. (Ben) Johnson, 2/25/24 - 11/17/83 and Hazel T. Johnson 4/9/23 "Johnson" Annie S., 1903 - 1982 and John Lee, 1903 - 1965 Lyndell Johnson, 1926 - 1949, son of Annie and John Lee Cynthia Ann Coggin, 1952 - 1952, daughter of Martha J. and Fagan "Johnson" Flenoy 1/1/15 - and Jewel D. 9/22/19 - Delmas Johnson, 12/15/38 - 9/5/49, son of Flenoy and Jewel "Long" Gradie J., 4/9/07 - 8/16/58 and Howard B. 1902 - 1972 William Dewey Lanier, 5/1/09 - 10/22/80 "Lanier" Nela Ann, 7/4/1889 - 5/10/1980 and David H. (Tom) 8/15/1868 - 9/9/1946 W.H. Lanier, 1825 - 1911 Martha M. Lanier, 1845 - 1914, wife of W.H. Lanier Tiny rock - Baby Smith, Lacy and Dan's baby initials EC Daniel Smith, Jr., 1940 - 1971 Daniel Smith, Sr., 1887 - 1955, World War II, "Vera" Lacy Vera Smith, 9/15/1902 - 9/6/1987 Phyllis A. Smith, 1960 - 1960, Baby of Dot Parker and Clifford "Mother and Daughter" Mattie Lou Leighton, 1892 - 1959 and Sula Westerhoff, 1920 - 5th row: Creek rock Linda Brymer Lawrence, 5/28/52 - 10/4/94 "Johnson" Luther, 7/2/04 - and Lois R. 11/7/17 - "Brymer" Jesse, 1/10/32 - 2/24/85 and Marion 3/27/34 - "Johnson" Lincoln, 9/13/11 - 1/6/81 and Eula 6/24/34 - Albert Johnson, 6/24/38 - and Marie Ann F., 5/20/40 - 4/23/92 R. Tommy Johnson, 3/7/62 - 7/1/78, son of Albert and Ann Fred A. Johnson, 12/23/1960 - 5/18/1961 Carl Dean Johnson, 12/28/1935 - 3/7/1945, son of . . . William H. Pratt, 1847 - 1919 Sarah Ann Pamplin, 1852 - 1930 W.D. Sandusky, 1872 - 1900 Letha June Smith, 4/26/38 - 6/12/38, daughter of Alice and Herman "Smith" Mildred L. 11/11/38 - and Herman W., 2/14/11 6th row: Mary Ann Musgrove, 1889 - 1890 "Johnson" Willie L., 11/16/1901 - 10/21/94 and Effie H. 10/25/1900 - 12/4/93 "Stanford" Florence, 3/12/1883 - 9/24/1973 and Will F., 1871 - 1945 Frances Lucy Johnson, 9/10/1862 - 12/21/1943 John W. Curtis, 2/7/1858 - 12/5/36 "Johnson" Florence, 12/23/1871 - 11/20/45 and W. Newt 6/12/1869 - 7/25/1948 Etha Johnson, 1906 - 1907, daughter of Florence and Newt Edna Johnson, 1913 - 1914, daughter of Florence and Newt Thomas A. Johnson, 11/19/1894 - 4/4/1927 Harlon Dennis Johnson, 1928 - 1929, Annie and John Lee's son James Lindon Johnson, 1932 - 1932 Harold Early Smith, 1927 - 1928, Effie J. and Frank's baby Martha E. Davis, 11/30/1866 - 7/5/1942, wife of W.S. William Samuel (Bill) Davis, 7/16/1843 - 12/8/1914 Mary J. Davis, 10/4/1849 - 10/14/1902, wife of W.S. Fannie Davis, 10/16/1868 - 11/8/1952, wife of G.W. George W. Davis, 12/17/1848 - 6/2/1915 Easter M. Davis, 5/10/1853 - 11/28/1899, wife of G.W. Fannie E. Richardson, 12/9/1922 - 12/10/1922, Luther and Ruby's baby "Richardson" Thomas Luther, 12/13/1900 - 4/30/87 and Ruby Davis, 12/18/04 - 5/20/88 Thomas Richardson, 1865 - 1933 and Callie Richardson, 1861 - 1945 7th row: Creek rock Creek rock Creek rock J. Robert Harwell, 9/11/1881 - 8/19/1947 Mattie Harwell, 10/28/1877 - 2/28/1935 William Z. Harwell, 2/7/1909 - 4/2/1909 Charlie Counts, 8/18/1876 - 12/9/1898 "Smith" Johnny Frank, 1/8/05 - 3/29/84 and Effie Johnson, 3/22/11 - "Hall" Mamie I., 11/2/1896 - 5/22/1976 and Will C., 1/16/1889 - 7/9/67 Joe J. Inman, 1856 - 1936, husband of Mary Elizabeth Mary E. Davis Duncan Inman, 2/6/1872 - 3/30/1955 Willie Duncan, 5/30/1869 - 1/20/1893, husband of Mary E. Small rock (footstone for row 6) initials MD Creek rock Charlie S. Ratliff, 5/24/1883 - 5/10/1906 John M. Ratliff, 1/25/1856 - 8/15/1918 M.M. Ratliff, 2/6/1860 - 5/30/1943 Ella Ratliff Durham, 1892 - 1939 8th row: (graves in this row are not aligned) Elizabeth, wife of S.C. Pearson, died 2/6/1890 Creek rock Creek rock Rock not legible: Anderson, 10/28, '22 or '28 Robert L. Anderson, 18?? - 1855 Samuel H. Anderson, 1842 - 1900 Winston Harwell, 5/28/1904 - 6/2/1928 "Harwell" Mettie Jane, 10/11/1866 - 9/12/1935 and W.M. Harwell, 4/24/1859 - 12/2/1939 "Fleeman" M.A., 2/26/1837 - no date and A.J., 1/27/1836 - 4/13/1888 Creek rock Creek rock - lying flat in grass Creek rock John E. Fox, 1834 - 1896 Creek rock Sarah E. Fox, 1849 - 1917, a creek rock at headstone too. Creek rock Creek rock Ida E. Kelley, 5/21/1889 - 10/5/1905 "Kelley" James M., 11/5/1862 - 10/31/1950 and Mary L., 8/8/1865 - 1922 Square rock, Jack Cates' amputated leg 9th row: (Between Flanagan and Felker the row is not aligned) Bettie Harwell, 1827 - 1930 "Felker" Carl and Geneva Footstone for row 8 Footstone for row 8 Footstone for row 8 Footstone for row 8 Pine tree Creek rock Creek rock Rock - cannot read all - RUFINGLEY (dau) "Fleeman" Henry W., 1857 - 1939 and Martha F., 1861 - 1889 "Flanagan" Pete, 7/16/44 - 9/10/93 and Erma K. 12/11/43 - M.D. Griffin, 6/1846 - 8/1908 "Fleeman" Father J.W., 1837 - 1913 and Mother E.J., 1837 - 1912 R.E. Fleeman, 1877 - 1898 Pearl M. Pinkerton, 1924 - 1994 (ashes) Nancy E. Bishop, 1833 - 1898 "Fleeman" Sarah, 1846 - 1898 and D.C. 1847 - 1901 D.C. Fleeman, 12/25/1847 - 3/31/1901 Gertrude, daughter of E.A. and M.L. Felker, 1910 - 1911 M.L. Felker, wife of E.A. 1884 - 1913 Alice, daughter of E.A. and Mattie Felker, 1909 - 1919 Creek rock is between the beginning of these two rows, south end. 10th row: Walter Franklin Sneed, 1876 - 1877 Isabella Panther Sneed, 1859 - 1890 Creek rock James W. Sneed, 1856 - 1896 C.H. Sneed, 1863 - 1939 Old Rock, Daniel Dunkl, 1/27/1810 - 10/1/1810 Rev. William Clayton, 1 /2/1832 - 3/13/1880 Amanda Davis, 6/14/1877 - 1/10/1964, wife of B.F. Robert Davis, 1883 - 1909, father of Raymond Davis Thomas Willis Newton Davis, 11/7/1904 - 12/17/04, son of B.F. and Amanda Claud Elledge Felker, 1890 - 1910 William Floyd Felker, 1889 - 1909 Rosanna Sneed, 1828 - 1894, wife of P.A. O. Sneed Pleasant A. Sneed, 1836 - 1894 Martha Elizabeth Johnson, 1858 - 1895, wife of J.H. William M. Herbert Frazier, 1894 - 1894, son of T.J. and L.J. J.H. Johnson, 1857 - 1916 William Young Johnson, 1882 - 1953 11th row: Rock, unknown (may be footstone) Rock, unknown (may be footstone) Rock, unknown (may be footstone) William G. Davis, 1810 - 1879 Emeline Davis, 1812 - 1888 Alfred Lee Davis, 1892, baby of B.F. and Carnelia (lamb, inset) B.F. Davis, 2/11/1847 - 7/12/1930 Carnelia Jane Davis, 8/11/1851 - 6/5/1898, wife of B.F. Little rock, footstone of Row 10 W.H Felker, 1826 - 1903 Martha Felker, 1832 - 1900, wife of W.H. Louisa Felker, 1/8/1907 - 11/1/1908 Creek rock E.J. Wilkinson, wife of G.M., 1864 - 1898 G.M. Wilkinson, 1844 - 1918 Maggie L. Wilkinson, wife of G.M., 1874 - 1921 "Johnson" Mable M., 1/23/18 - and Allie A. 10/13/13 - 9/7/92 12th row: (Graves not aligned on south end) Jas. A. Lay, 13 MO. Inf. Co. K Martha M. Wilkerson, wife of G.M. Wilkerson, 1844 - 1888 (praying hands inset on Wilkerson stone) Daughter of J.H. and J.S. Sandusky, 1871 - 1872 Footstone from row 11 Footstone from row 11 Lonzo, son of W.W. Crowder, 1884 - not legible (lamb insert) Catherine, wife of W.W. Crowder, 1850 - 1882 W.W. Crowder, 1848 - 1925 Myrtle, daughter of W.W. and D.R. Crowder, 1893 - 1893 Albert W., son of W.W. and D.R. Crowder, 1887 - 1899 Bedford Johnson, 6/22/38 - 1/14/95, son of Sherman and Ruby McDonald Johnson, PFC Army, 8/4/33 - 7/11/1988, son of Sherman and Ruby 13th row: (Gravestone not aligned on south end) Creek rock - Catherine Penney, 2/10/1835 - 5/16/1877 (age 42 years) information on east side Creek rock Creek rock Creek rock Walter Richardson, son of Thomas and Callie, 1892 - 1893 Lucious Dillon Duncan, 10/11/1916 - 10/8/1984 Elmo Cates, son of Mat and Henry, 1886 - 1887 M.H. Cates, 1847 - 1888 Martha J. Cates, 5/11/1847 - 10/14/1934 Hettie C. Duncan, 1/7/1895 - 12/27/1943 Carter Duncan, 10/5/1891 - 9/28/1974 "Hardiman" Etta, 1878 - 1945 and B.R., 1878 - 19 Robert Earl Hardiman, son of Etta & B.R. (Dick) 3/21/15 - 5/12/92 "Johnson" Sherman Taft, 1/30/1909 - 3/16/84 Ruby Hardiman, 1/22/1913 - ?/??/95 Alma (Sister), 6/13/1935, daughter of Sherman and Ruby 14th row: James Sneed, 1833 - 1907 Elizabeth Sneed, 1834 - 1902 Benjamin L. Yannayon, 6/7/69 - 7/23/88 James A. Yannayon, 3/26/38 - 7/23/88, husband and father Rita J. Yannayon, 5/25/37 - 5/10/82; ashes Jennifer Yannayon, 11/7/78 - 7/23/88 Creek Rock Creek Rock Simon P. Stafford, TEC5, U.S.Army, World War II, 1900 - 1972 Joe Stafford, 1863 - 1943 Louise A. Wilkinson, 1855 - 1918 J.W. Wilkinson, 1837 - 1919 Mary L. Wilkinson, wife of J.W., 1850 - 1906 S.H. Cates, 1851 - 1917 Glen Cates, 1923 - 1932, son of Cecil and Lilly "Cates" Cecil V., 12/25/1896 - 5/17/80 and Lillie B. Cates 3/3/1895 - 12/7/88 Josephine Cates White, 5/20/1877 - 7/1/1957 15th row: Lou Harwell, 1872 - 1942 Rock or footstone from Row 14 William E. Sandusky, son of J.W., 1844 - 1872 5 Footstones from Row 14 or Grave Rocks Maple Tree Footstone from Row 14 or Grave Rock "Yokley" Tommy, 9/11/43 - and Linda J. 11/19/42 - 6/27/93 16th row: "Sandusky" Jacob H., 3/29/1846 - 6/13/1930 and Josiephene, 11/8/1878 - 4/11/1946 Marble Rock Marble Rock Creek Rock Creek Rock Creek Rock Creek Rock J.H. Sandusky Stone, south side Louisa, wife, of J.H. 1895 Jacob T., 1896 Harvy, 1889 Rosie L., 1885 Artelia, 1872 J.H. Sandusky Stone, north side Martha A., 1867 William N., 1869 Parthenia, 1874 Mary 3., 1878 Lovetta., 1884 Creek Rock Creek Rock Creek Rock Marble Rock Creek Rock Luther Calvin Miller, 1/23/1911 - 2/12/1978 Freda Camilla Miller, 5/8/12 - 6/6/63 "Crowder", Rev. T.T. - Martha Crowder - no dates Emley E. Sandusky, 1860 - 1946 "Sneed" Cora Lee, 1879 - 1960 and Edd, 1877 - 1950 "Sneed" Florence A., 4/8/30 - and Theodore R., 7/19/1900 - 6/26/1980 "Palmer" Willia May, 1903 - 1971 and Marion H., 1892 - 1978 "Garner" William Cliff, 1898 - 1959 and Beatrice G., 1906 -

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS PART I The Late Mrs. Ada Cates The Late Cecil and Lillie Cates The Late Emery Crowder Carl and Geneva Felker Mrs. Sadie Cates Hickman Flenoy and Jewel Johnson The Late Mae Johnson The Late Willie L. Johnson, Sr. The Late J. Leroy Kelly Martin College former students, Patsy Dover and Nancy Haas Vernon Sides Mary Catherine Clark Sneed's Biography The Late T.R. Sneed Martin College Mr. Clarence Holley, 1979 history binding PART II Jewel Duncan Johnson, Historian Nedra Johnson Trebing, Editor/Typist Philanthropist -- print and bind, anonymous **Note: Retyped, proofed, and submitted to the Giles County Rootsweb site, June 2005, by Sharon Neal and Charles Neal, great grand daughter and grandson of Mrs. Bessie Maude Felker Neal, (July 28, 1901 - Dec. 24, 1968); in her memory, as an always giving and loving grandmother, and a life long member of the Choates Creek Church. For additional information about the church, please contact: Nedra Trebing
[email protected]