John H. Woldridge

Times Picayune (New Orleans)
October 23, 1875, Page 1

Capt. John H. Woldridge, of Pulaski, Tenn., the blind exConfederate soldier, arrived in this city yesterday. He has been lecturing through the Southern States and proposes to deliver a series of lectures in New Orleans. He was a member of the "Martin Guards", of Pulaski, and belonged to the 1st Tennessee regiment until the bloody battle of Perryville, Ky., where he lost both of his eyes.

Capt. Woldridge is a man of intellect and possesses rare literary attainments. He is an eloquent speaker, a member of the bar, a patriot and an honorable gentlemen. His lectures, we are informed, are replete with brilliant flashes of genius and sallies of wit and humor.

Independent of his talents as a lecturer he deserves the confidence and support of a generous public, because he was true to the South, because he was one of the first to rally under the flag of the Confederacy and because now, being totally deprived of sight, his present calling is his only means of support.

The country he defended and struggled to save--although in vain--should not forget this patriot soldier in his dark hours of need and affliction. We hope our people will turn out and give him full houses.

Submitted by: Ruth Hasten Walsh

Norfolk Advertiser
September 14, 1833, page 2

We learn from the Nashville Banner, that Mr. P.H. Brady was shot through the heart, at Pulaski, Tennessee, on the night of the 20th ult. The only particulars that are stated are as follows: - "Mr. Brady attempted to chastise Mr. Nye, on the day of his death, but was prevented. He was met on the public square, in the night, by Fountain Lester, and Henry Lester, his son, with another young man named Fountain Barksdale, and several pistols were discharged. when the people gathered, who were attracted to the spot by the firing, they found Brady dead, with nine balls in him."

Submitted by: Ruth Hasten Walsh

Memphis Daily Avalanche
February 20, 1868, Page 1

From the Nashville Banner
, February 19th

We have received the full particulars of an unfortunate affair that occurred in Giles county on Thursday, and which resulted in the death of one of the parties concerned in it.

During a part of the year 1866 Major Thos. Gilbert and Doctor Pomp. Westmoreland were in partnership as dealers in horses and mules. The latter gave up the business, in the year named, but it appears that Major Gilbert made a purchase involving about $4,000 and signed the name of the firm to the notes given in payment. Westmoreland refused to be bound by the transaction, claiming that he was no longer a partner; and the result was a law suit, which was gained by Dr. Westmoreland. Subsequent to this litigation the two had no communication with each other whatever; on the contrary, time seemed to make only stronger the animosity by which they were divided.

It is stated by the friends of Dr. Westmoreland that Major Gilbert had frequently indulged in threats against him, swearing that he would shoot him on sight; that Dr. Westmoreland had, as far as was consistent with his reputation for courage, kept out of Major Gilbert's way, and that repeated efforts had been made by mutual friends of both parties to heal the breach, but without effect. No meeting had, however, taken place since the estrangement over a year before, until last Thursday. Early on the morning of that day Major Gilbert called at the house of a gentleman related to him by marriage, named Maples. The latter had received two gunshot wounds a short time previously and was under the treatment of Dr. Westmoreland. As soon as Major Gilbert entered the house, Mr. Maples besought him not to remain there, as the doctor would arrive within half an hour. The former consented to ride over to Frank Gibson's, not far off, until the physician had paid his visit. He mounted his horse and rode off, accompanied by a man named Minacs. The road to Mr. Gibson's house led for a half a mile in the direction from which Dr. Westmoreland was to come. Major Gilbert proposed, after having proceeded a few yards to ride on to a house where there was whisky for sale. This plan carried them still a mile further on in Dr. Westmoreland's direction. When the cross road by which the latter was to come was reached, Major Gilbert persuaded Minnicks to go ahead and buy the whisky, while he dismounted from his horse, sat down by a fence and waited his companion's return.

In a few moments Dr. Westmoreland, accompanied by his wife who was going to visit a relative near Mr. Maple's approached the place where the roads intersected. Both were on horseback, the lady carrying her child in front of her. Major Gilbert heard the noise and jumped up to see who was coming. The suspicion immediately flashed upon Dr. Westmoreland that his enemy was lying in wait to kill him, and he called out that he was unarmed. We should have stated before that the Doctor had since the feud began to assume so serious an aspect, left his pistols at home, knowing that Major Gilbert was too honorable to attack a defenseless man.

What occurred at the meeting just mentioned, we have not definitely ascertained, but it is stated that the menacing attitude of Major Gilbert caused Dr. Westmoreland to gallop off for a gun. Some say that the former approached with the remark: "I have long wished for this meeting, and this is as good a time as any to settle our difficulty." Then Mrs. Westmoreland rushed between the parties crying, "You shall not shoot my husband. He is unarmed."

At any rate, Dr. Westmoreland rode off and armed himself. He then went to visit his patient, Mr. Maples, and remained there some hours. In the meantime Major Gilbert had gone over to Frank Gibson's, where he stayed until three o'clock. Unfortunately both the parties started home about the same time. They met in the highway, not far from the house of a Mr. Hightower. On seeing each other, both dismounted. Dr. Westmoreland called out to Major Gilbert not to shoot, but to come and talk the matter over. The latter took a position behind a tree pulled off his gloves, drew his pistol, and leaned forward to fire. This movement had, however, been anticipated by his antagonist, who leveled his gun and fired with fatal effect. Major Gilbert fell, and his slayer at once, went to his assistance, remarking: "Tom, you brought this on yourself. You forced me to do it." The dying man replied, "I know it; but Oh, I feel so sick." He expired about two o'clock Friday morning.

Dr. Westmoreland gave himself up to the authorities, but no examination had, so far as we could learn, been held up to yesterday afternoon.

Both participants in this tragically termination of an old feud were highly respected by all who knew them. Major Gilbert was in Wheeler's cavalry during the war, and Dr. Westmoreland was a surgeon of Fiftyfirst Tennessee infantry.

The reencounter took place near Bethel, Tennessee.

Submitted by: Ruth Hasten Walsh

See photo of Dr. Pomp Westmoreland.