Martin College was founded in 1870 by Thomas Martin because of the
dying request of his daughter, Victoria Martin, who died in 1858 at
the age of 20. Thomas was born near Charlottesville, Virginia, on
December 14, 1799, the son of Rev. Abram Martin. In 1809, Rev. Abram
Martin moved west and located in Sumner County, Tennessee as a
preacher and a farmer.
Thomas Martin moved to Pulaski as a young man. He became a
millionaire before his death. A democrat and friend of James K. Polk,
who lived in nearby Columbia. Martin was offered the position of U.S.
Treasurer by Polk when Polk became President of the United States.
Martin College was a Female College incorporated June 21, 1870. In
1938, Martin College became co- educational with a total of 115
students. For 39 years (1870-1909), the college was owned and
operated by the Board of Trustees elected by an Official Board under
the control of the Tennessee Annual Conference. The name was
officially changed to Martin College.