On Highway 31 between Pulaski and Elkton is a wide
spot in the road known as Tarpley's Shop. The once thriving, and now
practically gone, community is known as Tarpley's Shop. Officially, the
name of the place is Tarpley, Tennessee. There was a post office at
Tarpley from 1886 until 1908. A Mister Tarpley had a shop there and
apparently everyone started referring to the place as Tarpley's Shop and
effectively changed the name of the community from Tarpley to Tarpley's
This postcard dates from around 1920.